Monday, December 26, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake

I've been meaning to make this pie since, man, something like 2008, when my then-roommate, Muckford, made it for the first time. WOW, that was good cake. I've taken his recipe and published it here, with a few alterations.

I'll be honest; Muckford's was WAY better. Sadly, I don't know what he did to make it better, but I'm guessing it's because he's simply a good baker. Baking does not come as naturally to me as other culinary skills, although I do a great job of faking it. :-)

V e g a n  P u m p k i n  P i e  C h e e s e c a k e

Ingredients:
8 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese - Look for the non-hydrogenated version in the yellow container.
12 ounces light firm silken tofu - Or extra-firm
1/2 cup agave nectar - Or unrefined sugar, which is what I used
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup pumpkin puree - Canned, not pumpkin pie mix
2 teaspoons rum - Optional. I used it. Not sure what it added.
3 tablespoons brown sugar or natural, unrefined sugar - I used the latter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg - I wish I'd used this! I used dried, ground nutmeg, instead.

1 pre-made 8-inch graham cracker crust

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Put the first set of ingredients (toffuti through vanilla) in a food processor and puree until completely smooth. It should be silky smooth--not chalky or lumpy.

Remove a cup of this mixture from the processor and spread it in the bottom of the crust.

Add the next set of ingredients (pumpkin through nutmeg) to the ingredients remaining in the food processor and process until well blended. Smooth it carefully over the white layer in the crust, heaping it slightly in the middle. Bake until the center is almost set, about 50-60 minutes. Insert a toothpick. If it comes out liquidy and cold, give it more time, until the center is firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 3 hours. Serve to delighted guests.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Foody,

    It doesn't always come out perfect for me either... something about the sugar to tofu ratio, I'm guessing? Or maybe the type of tofu used?

    I used the brown sugar and agave nectar when I made it. Also, I tried it once without that little bit of rum -- and it wasn't nearly as good! So surprising as it is, I think the rum really does add something significant.

    My boss at work happens to be vegan too, and she made these aaaawesome creamsicle cupcakes. She does rootbeer float cupcakes too, but the creamsicle are my favorite. I'm going to have to snag that recipe and pass it on to you when I have the chance :)

    Hope you had yourself a Happy Holiday!!! The boyfriend's family made me my very own tofurkey roast, and it was deeeelicious! That wild-rice stuffing is some tasty, tasty stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah, that looks good enough to roll in! I love pumpkin pie! Now I just have to get my hands on a pumpkin;)

    ReplyDelete